Mumkins – Fall’s Favorite Flower Gets a Makeover
Synonymous with the shorter days, crisp weather and falling leaves, pumpkins and mums add a pop of warm, cheery color to your front porch or centerpiece.
This fall, try combining pumpkins and mums to create a mumkin. Whether you’re a seasoned DIY enthusiast or an arts and crafts novice, mumkins are a fun and easy decorating project for all ages.
You can leave your mumkin au naturel for a more rustic look or decorate it for a playful Halloween design or anything in between! Better yet, each of our mumkin projects shown here can be completed for less than $30. Here’s what you’ll need.
• 3 qt potted mums in any color, available at most garden centers
• An equal number of pumpkins
• A sharp knife
• Art supplies such as paint and brushes, glitter, etc.
• Décor accessories such as faux cobwebs, pinecones on sticks, etc.
- Preserve your pumpkin. Submerge the entire pumpkin in white vinegar before cutting or lightly spritz the pumpkin with a bleach solution of 1 tablespoon bleach to 1 quart water after cutting.
- Care for your mums. Place the mums in an area where they will receive partial to full sun and remove the planter from the pumpkin to water your mums daily.
- Trace the top and bottom of the plastic planter onto the pumpkin where you want to place the mums.
- Cut in between these lines and remove the top of the pumpkin.
- Clean out the inside of the pumpkin.
- Decorate the outside of the pumpkin to your liking with art supplies. You can use paint or glue and glitter as decoration or leave the pumpkin bare.
- Place the potted mums inside the pumpkin.
- Add any additional accessories and enjoy your festive mumkin!